Blind Person’s Allowance and Disabled Students Allowance


Blind Person’s Allowance

Blind Person’s Allowance means you can earn more before you start paying Income Tax. It applies no matter what job you have and even if you change jobs. 

Before you claim you need to register as blind or severely sight impaired with your local authority  

Once you are registered you can apply here: 


Disabled Students Allowance 

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA) are Student Finance grants that help to pay for extra Assistive Technology and Specialist Support that you may need as a direct result of your disability, on-going health condition, sensory impairment, mental-health condition or specific learning disability. 

It can take up to 14 weeks to get your support, so it is worth applying as soon as you can. 

You can get support from your university disability services to help you through your applications or other funding which may be available. 

You should hear about your application within 6 weeks. 

If you do qualify, then it will be paid every term along with student finance and it is worth contacting the disability adviser at your college or university if you need any advice.


Benefits can be confusing

If you would like some advice please speak with one of RSBC’s specialist benefits advisers, we can also help you complete the application forms and help you to challenge any decisions. 

If you are a parent or guardian or vision impaired yourself and aged 16 – 25 then please call 0203 198 0225 or email  


Published: 8th August 2018

Want to challenge a decision?

Challenging a decision about your benefits

If you disagree with a decision about your benefit, you may be able to challenge their decision. This page explains the process for challenging a decision, what mandatory consideration is and ways to prepare for your challenge.
Find out more

You can call us between 9am-5pm Monday - Friday on 020 3198 0225. Prefer us to call you?