Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

Often there are extra costs when caring for a child with a disability.

Disability Living Allowance(DLA) is a benefit to help towards these extra costs. 

DLA is for children under 16. If your child is 16 or over then you can apply for a different benefit called Personal Independence Allowance(PIP).


How do I apply for DLA?

  1. Call the DLA Helpline on 0345 712 3546 (open Monday - Friday, 8am-6pm). Ask them to send you an application form
  2. Complete the form when it arrives. If you need help with this you can call RSBC on 0203 1980225
  3. Send the form back before the date stated on the letter using the prepaid envelope included


What happen's next?

​​​​​Within 6 weeks you will get a letter. It will tell you:

  • If your child is entitled to DLA
  • How long they are entitled for
  • How much you will get
  • When you will get your first payment

This is called the 'award letter'.


Other benefits you might get

If your child is in receipt of DLA, you may be entitled to additional amounts towards your housing benefit, child tax credit and universal credit.

You can find out more on our 'Getting other help' page.


Published: 30th October 2018

Want to challenge a decision?

Challenging a decision about your benefits

If you disagree with a decision about your benefit, you may be able to challenge their decision. This page explains the process for challenging a decision, what mandatory consideration is and ways to prepare for your challenge.
Find out more

You can call us between 9am-5pm Monday - Friday on 020 3198 0225. Prefer us to call you?