Getting other help

If you’re blind or partially sighted, or your child is, then you might qualify for other financial help.

Transport and getting around

  • Vehicle tax exemption or reduction – if you have your own car and you have a nominated driver and you are in receipt of higher mobility Disability Living Allowance(DLA) or enhanced rate mobility for Personal Independence Payment(PIP)
  • Leasing a car, powered wheelchair or scooter – if you’re in receipt of high rate Disability Living Allowance mobility component or enhanced rate mobility for Personal Independence Payment(PIP)
  • Disabled railcard – get 1/3 off adult rail fares, and if you’re travelling with another adult they will get a 1/3 off too
  • Freedom Pass – if you live in London a freedom pass allows free travel across the city, you can apply through your local authority


If you or your parent/guardian are in receipt of certain benefits you may be entitled to the following:

You can get advice on money and debt from Money Advice, they also offer live web chat which can be busy, but do keep trying.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who look after a disabled person. Only one parent can claim for Carer’s Allowance.

You will qualify for Carer’s Allowance if you:

  • Are aged 16 and over
  • Are caring for someone who is receiving the highest or middle rate of Disability Living Allowance care component
  • Provide care for at least 35 hours a week (any time)
  • Are not earning more than £120 a week
  • Are not a full-time student
  • Satisfy certain residence conditions and you are not a person subject to immigration control

How to apply?

  1. Complete the online form
  2. Within 4 weeks you will get a letter. This is called the ‘award letter’, it will tell you what you are entitled to, how much and when you will get your first payment