Practical help at home

Health and wellbeing professionals can offer practical help and support at home.

Health visitor

Health visitors are qualified nurses or midwives. They’re also trained to check children’s health and development.

They usually visit you at home when your baby is born but you can also see them at a child health clinic.

Health visitors can help identify vision impairment and offer support with your child’s:

  • development
  • sleep
  • feeding

You can get in touch with a health visitor through your doctor.

Social worker

Your local council must offer you practical help if you have a disabled child. This may be through a specialist social worker or a rehabilitation worker.

A social worker can help with a range of problems your family may have. This can include:

  • counselling if you need support talking about your feelings
  • making your home safe e.g. fitting non-slip flooring
  • equipment like telephones with large keys
  • fitting better lighting
  • transport e.g. a blue parking badge

RSBC Families First

Our Families First team is available to support the emotional wellbeing of vision impaired children and young people (0-25) and their families.

We’re here to:

  • give practical advice about your child’s development
  • support emotionally when you feel overwhelmed
  • help you understand your child’s vision impairment better
  • support the whole family