Specialist therapy for blind or vision impaired children

You may see therapists who specialise in different areas to help with your child’s additional needs.

Read below to see how different therapists can help your child.


A physiotherapist can help your child if they have problems with:

  • crawling
  • walking
  • posture
  • moving with confidence

They can help your child’s physical development by suggesting:

  • exercises
  • safe games to play
  • equipment that might help, like specialist buggies or standing frames
  • ways to position and carry your child
Speech and language therapist

A Speech and Language Therapist (SALT) can help your child with:

  • talking
  • other forms of communication, like sign language
  • eating, swallowing and sucking

They might work also with your child’s school to make sure your child can communicate with teachers and other pupils.

Occupational therapist

Occupational therapists help children with daily activities and independent living skills. This can include:

  • eating
  • drinking
  • sitting in a chair
  • moving around
  • getting dressed
  • playing

They can also tell you about adaptations you can make to your home that might help your child, like improving lighting.

Educational Psychologist

An educational psychologist can assess your child’s development. They can also offer support if they find it harder to learn or communicate.

Your child may see an educational psychologist before they start nursery.

Mobility officer

Mobility officers can help train your child in skills that allow them to be more independent. They’re sometimes called habilitation workers or Registered Qualified Habilitation Specialists (RQHSs).

They can help with everyday activities including:

  • crawling and walking
  • getting dressed
  • getting around in the home and outside
  • how to cross the road safely
  • how to use their white cane
Rehabilitation worker

Rehabilitation workers help people who have lost or are loosing their sight to enable them to continue to live safely and independently.

They work in a similar way to mobility officers.

RSBC’s Family Support Service can help you with: 

  • practical advice about your child’s development
  • support when you feel overwhelmed
  • understanding your child’s vision impairment better
  • living as a family and being supportive of each other

Call 0203 1980225 or email connections@rsbc.org.uk