Yellow graphic with text that reads "Information and Advice Service"

Information and Advice for families of blind and partially sighted children and young people

If you are looking for some help and guidance about what benefits you or your family might be eligible for, what grants might be available or what support you should be receiving locally then our Advice and Information service can help.

What help can I get for my vision impaired child and my family?

We can advise you on a range of benefits such as:

  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP)
  • Carers Allowance
  • Universal Credit

We can help you complete the application forms but we will always encourage you to do as much as you can yourselves so that you can become more independent.

We also can help you find assistance for essential items in your home if you are struggling financially.

Claiming benefits if you are vision impaired and aged 16 or over

It’s important to make sure you get all the financial help you may be entitled to.

If your claim is successful, your money can be paid directly into your bank account and it will be backdated to the date of your initial application.

Depending on your condition and circumstances you could be entitled to these benefits.

Are you? 

16 or over in full time education 16 or over not in education and not working full time 16 or over in work
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Disabled Student’s Allowance – Designated higher education courses
  • 16-19 Education Bursary fund
  • Housing Benefit – University Students living away from home (in some cases)
  • Universal Credit (in some cases)
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • New Style Employment Support Allowance
  • New Style Job Seekers Allowance
  • Universal Credit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Access to Work
  • Blind Person’s Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit (existing claims only)
  • Universal Credit
  • VAT Relief to buy products specifically designed for people with a disability

Depending on your condition and your circumstances these are the main benefits that vision impaired young people could be entitled to:

  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) – provides a contribution towards the extra costs you face in order to live a full and active independent life. How much you receive is based on how your condition affects you and not the condition itself
  • Access to Work – aims to help disabled people start or stay in work including moving to self-employment or starting a business. It can provide practical and financial support if you have a disability or long term physical or mental health condition claiming Access to Work does not affect your other benefits
  • Blind Persons Allowance – if you are in employment you can earn up to £2,320 more before you start paying income tax on the top of your personal allowance

What other help might my family be entitled to?

If you or your child is blind or partially sighted, you might qualify for other financial help.

Transport and getting around

  • Disabled bus pass– you can apply through your local authority
  • Blue badge– to park in disabled spaces
  • Vehicle tax exemption or reduction– if you have your own car and you have a nominated driver and you are in receipt of higher mobility Disability Living Allowance(DLA) or enhanced rate mobility for Personal Independence Payment(PIP)
  • Leasing a car, powered wheelchair or scooter– if you’re in receipt of high rate Disability Living Allowance mobility component or enhanced rate mobility for Personal Independence Payment(PIP)
  • Disabled railcard– get 1/3 off adult rail fares, and if you’re travelling with another adult they will get a 1/3 off too
  • Freedom Pass– if you live in London a freedom pass allows free travel across the city, you can apply through your local authority


If you or your parent/guardian are in receipt of certain benefits you may be entitled to the following:

You can get advice on money and debt from Money Advice, they also offer live web chat which can be busy, but do keep trying.

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a benefit for people who look after a disabled person. Only one parent can claim for Carer’s Allowance.

You will qualify for Carer’s Allowance if you:

  • Are aged 16 and over
  • Are caring for someone who is receiving the highest or middle rate of Disability Living Allowance care component  or any rate of the Daily Living Component of Personal Independence Payment
  • Provide care for at least 35 hours a week (any time)
  • Are not earning more than £139 a week
  • Are not a full-time student
  • Satisfy certain residence conditions and you are not a person subject to immigration control

How to apply?

  1. Complete the online form
  2. Within several weeks you will get a letter. This is called the ‘award letter’, it will tell you what you are entitled to, how much and when you will get your first payment

How do I get in touch?

Benefits can be confusing, if you would like some advice please speak with one of RSBC’s specialist benefits advisers, we can also help you complete the application forms and help you to challenge any decisions.

If you are a parent or guardian or vision impaired yourself and aged 16 – 25 then please call 020 3198 0225 or email   

You may also be interested in…